Offering an international research training programme in literary and cultural studies which is designed to ensure optimum conditions for doctoral candidates in pursuing their PhD, the IPP has proven a pillar of the comprehensive and sustained reform of graduate studies at Justus Liebig University Giessen.
In particular, the IPP
- offers an international curriculum which integrates the doctoral candidates into national and international academic communities;
- acquaints PhD students with state-of-the-art theories, methodologies, approaches and concepts in the fields of literary and cultural studies;
- improves the quality of the dissertation while, at the same time, reducing the time needed to obtain the degree;
- encourages independent research from an early stage on (e.g. through international publications and conferences);
- provides ample opportunity to acquire academic and practical qualifications in cooperation with the GCSC Teaching Centre and the GGK/GCSC Career Service, such as systematic training in academicteaching as well as other practical and professional skills.